Friday, June 29, 2012

Gallbladder Surgery

Well- I am down an organ.  I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago.  I was such a nervous wreck the few minutes before they put me on the gurney.  As the anxiety took over,  I told the nurses I didn't want to do it anymore and even started to peel away at the tape holding my IV in.  Thankfully my mom was there to throw her body over mine to keep me from getting up and the anesthesiologist was nearby with a giant syringe full of happy goo.  Within a few seconds I felt white washed and didn't care about one single thing.

After what felt like a second, I was waking up in recovery.  Aside from the anesthesia induced nausea and the fact that they had trouble getting me to wake up- the surgery went perfectly.  I was able to recover without needing narcotics (which was really important to me because they also make me sick) and so far I haven't had any of the complications you worry about with gallbladder removal.  The most frustrating and painful part of the whole process was the thrush I got after being given several rounds of antibiotics before surgery.

Now that sucked.

I couldn't be more thrilled that it's over.  At my follow up the doctor reviewed the pathology of my gallbladder.  He said it was a ticking time bomb and the infection could have killed me if it had burst.  Story of my life!  There have been so many close calls that I simply can't deny that I'm being watched over by a very loving Heavenly Father.  And I'm thankful for that.

 

No comments: