Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Fall and Football


I'm not sure if it's because of all the extra rainfall we had this past spring and summer, but we had an explosion of the most incredible wildflowers during the late summer, all over our city.  Trenton was on a work trip the night that I took these pictures.  The kids and I had piled in the car to go to 7-Eleven for some Slurpee's and to the right of the gas station was the most beautiful field just filled with vibrant flowers.  We managed to catch the sun just as it was setting, and it really was a magical 15 minutes with my babies.  I'm grateful that I am in the habit of keeping my camera in my purse so I could catch these sweet pictures.









We made it to our annual hot air balloon festival this year, but we decided to see the balloon glow that happens in the evening instead of waking up early in the morning for the lift-off.  It was a perfect goodbye to summer.  We even enjoyed a gorgeous sunset as we were walking to the park.






Our sweet friends and neighbors, Phil and Alicia, invited to us to visit a pumpkin patch in Canyon City that we had never been to.  All I can say is that it totally made me regret the money and time we have wasted on other farms.  It was such a fun place!  The kids had a ball playing games, jumping in a giant pit of corn, picking out their pumpkins from the patch, and navigating their way through an impressive corn maze.









































We had an unseasonably warm September, but when it cooled down, it really cooled down.  Even though it was 38 degrees, Lyla and I bundled up and spent one last day at the zoo before it got too cold.  We didn't see anyone else the entire time we were there!  It was kind of fun to have the zoo to ourselves.  Once our fingers finally went numb from the cold, we had a wonderful time!  While we were walking back to the car, it started to snow for the first time of the season. 





Another part Fall that I know Trenton especially loves is that the Husker's finally start playing again.  He enjoys watching any football, really.  Unfortunately Nebraska lost their first game to BYU, which was especially painful because our neighbors were rooting for BYU, and they didn't waste anytime coming over to gloat.  Trenton was a good sport about it, but his Uncle Gary got so mad he actually had to leave.  Ha ha.  We also enjoyed seeing my nephew, Steven, play for his high school football team throughout the season.









Fall is, by far, my favorite season of the year.  I feel so lucky to live in Colorado, where everything is so vibrant and beautiful.




It took a minute for the kids to get back in the swing of things with school.  I think it really came as a shock to Ben that he was no longer a kindergartner- the honeymoon was over, and he'd have to do homework every day.  I just love this picture.  Emma and Ben are working so hard, and Lyla is just in the back, eating her mac and cheese without a care in the world.


One of our favorite things to do during the Autumn months is visit the Halloween section at Target.  It's always so fun and festive.  Here are my "three Amigos" checking out all the spooky decorations.


Another reason I love this time of year so much, is because it forces us back inside into the warmth of our homes.  Everything slows down a little and I no longer feel guilty about napping.



And let's not forget how fun all the new Autumn scents are at Bath and Body Works.  Doug seems to like that too!  Ha ha...


When I took this picture, I had slipped out of the house early in the morning while my family was still sleeping and went for a walk on Wood Ave. The leaves were just starting to change, and it was a tiny bit chilly and foggy. Don't tell Trenton, but I'm having a love affair with October.


One final reason I love Fall so much is because the produce is yummy and earthy.  I love nothing more than turning the oven back on after a summer of salads, and roasting root vegetables and making pumpkin soup.  One perk of the two older kids being in school is the fact that I get Lyla all to myself.  She's such a precious little shopping buddy.

No comments: