Friday, December 28, 2012

Seven Falls

I'm pretty sure it was back in October that I mentioned to Trenton that if we did nothing else this Christmas season, we had to go to Seven Falls.  You have to understand- I've been visiting that place since we moved to Colorado when I was 3 years old.  It's kind of funny because most of my memories associated with the park aren't anything special.  I remember being so cold I thought I was going to die, and us getting stuck in a line of cars so long that we'd have to wait for two hours just to get in the park.  I vividly remember having to pee so badly that my brother Bill had to sneak me behind a tree along the side of the road.  But I also remember being bundled up by my mom, and being snuggled in her arms while watching the lights change colors beneath the frozen waterfalls.  I remember my dad buying me a little bottle of fool's gold from the gift shop, and marveling at the fact that my siblings dared to scale the hundreds of stairs to reach the top.  I remember my dad buying us all a cup of hot chocolate, and how comforting that was on every level.  As I got older, we kind of just stopped going, until a few years ago when Emma was a baby.  I was reminded of how much I loved that place, and decided it was a tradition worth creating for my own kids.   
 
Heather and Tim had just gotten in from Kansas and met us there.  I literally got teary eyed when I stepped out of the car and saw her standing there.  Everything felt complete.  It's like my heart finally decided it could be Christmas.
 
On Sunday evening we had a little Christmas/Birthday party for Emma and Heather.  I made two giant lasagnas, and Christy brought the most delicious breadsticks I've ever had. My mom topped it all off with her homemade red velvet cake.  Also known as heaven on a cake stand.
 































No comments: