Thursday, December 27, 2012

Emma's 5th Birthday

Why God made little girls
God made the world with its towering trees,
majestic mountains and restless seas,
then paused and said, 'It needs one more thing.'
Someone to laugh and dance and sing,
to walk in the woods and gather flowers,
to commune with nature in quiet hours.
So God made little girls
with laughing eyes and bouncing curls,
with joyful hearts, and beautiful smiles,
enchanting ways and feminine wiles.
And when He'd completed the task He'd begun,
he was pleased and proud of the job He'd done.
For the world when seen through a little girl's eyes
greatly resembles paradise.

For months, whenever I asked her what she'd like to do on her Birthday, she always came back with, "I want to go to the movie theater, buy a bag of popcorn with lots of butter, and watch a movie on the huge screen."  So that's exactly what we did.  Trenton had to work, so I got all the cuteness to myself.  We saw "Wreck it Ralph" on the big screen, stuffed our bellies with perfectly buttered and salted popcorn, and cuddled under my winter coat while it flurried outside.  Heaven.

Later that evening we had Chinese food for dinner and cake and presents with Trenton and Shannon and Steve.  It was nice and quiet.

On the way to preschool the next day, Emma squealed from the backseat, "I can't believe how lucky I am.  I get a birthday and a school Christmas party on the same day!?"  The kids got to build and decorate their own gingerbread houses and enjoy a visit from Santa.  It was a perfect day for a perfect 5 year old.















No comments: