Thursday, December 27, 2012

Colorado Springs Conservatory

Last week, Trenton and I went to my friend, Josh Franklin's concert.  We had attended the Rocky Mountain School of the Arts together (It's now known as the Colorado Springs Conservatory.)  I ran into my first voice teacher, Linda Weiss.  I studied with her from age 11-17 and she was an extremely influential force in my life.  It was fun catching up with her- seeing her stood as a reminder of how happy I am with the decisions I've made.  While I do love music, wholeheartedly, I'm thankful I adjusted my priorities and opened myself up to more than just singing and performing.  It was partially because of Linda that I also became interested in earning an education, getting married, and having kids. 



I have to admit that being amongst the other alumni and hearing all about their successes during the non-stop brag-fest that was going on did make me feel a little insecure about my lack of professional accomplishments.  The many opportunities I have sacrificed aren't lost on me. There are several people in my life who are quick to remind me of what I could have been if I had decided to take Julliard and the American Musical and Dramatic Academy up on their acceptance letters.  But I feel sick to think about the opportunities I could have missed if I hadn't made the choices I've made.  I have very vivid memories of Linda teaching me in the basement of her home and promising me, "You can have it all, Janet.  Maybe not all at the same time.  But you will have it all."  She was reminding me that there is a season for everything.  Right now, my season is to busy myself raising three little pieces of immortality.  Singing will always be innate for me.  If there is piano, I will stop and play it.  And I'm thankful for that part of me. But I am a million times more thankful for the opportunities that were thrown at me that I did take advantage of.



Besides...I'm only 29!  I still have a LOT of living to do!  Who knows?

No comments: