Sunday, October 14, 2018

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway!

In one of my psych classes in college, I learned about a study that determined whether assuming a high-power (superhero) stance would lead participants to behave accordingly--to be more willing to assume risk.  They tested the saliva of the participants after standing life this for two minutes, and their testosterone (perceived power) went up, and their cortisol (stress) decreased!  It's been tested since then many times and it holds true!  Stand like a superhero, feel like a superhero, act like a superhero.  This theory even made its way onto Grey's Anatomy- when a surgeon is nervous about removing an impossible tumor, she assumes the stance.  It works.  Anyway, this picture was take just minutes before I boarded a plane for the first time in almost 7 years.  Trenton and I were just being silly when he took the picture- but I do think it actually helped.  Thankfully both flights went well.  This should teach my brain that it shouldn't worry so much.  But here I am- very nervous again about the possibilities of some life-changing opportunities in my near future.  Will there ever come a time when fear won't cripple me?  Can I really handle this, or have I just gotten really good at pretending I can?  I was sharing these questions with my friend Janette, and she offered great advice.  "If your only hesitation is your limitations, you have to go for it.  Forget fear.  FORGET FEAR!"  This was coming from a 30 year old widowed mother of 3.  If she can say this and believe it, then I have no choice but to honor her by living it.  And just as the beloved Thomas S Monson said, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it."  If there's something you're scared of right now...feel the fear...and GO FOR IT ANYWAY!
 

No comments: