Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Perfect Sunday

I used to hate the month of August.  It's usually extremely hot, everyone is going back to school, and I feel this pressure from all the stores to pack up my flower pots and pull out the scarecrows, even though it is still very much Summer.  But this past August was such a warm, gentle month.  Maybe Trenton and I have enjoyed this summer so much because we've been busy caring for our first vegetable garden, and our hens, and our babies.  We've been eating out on the deck in the evenings, and sleeping with the windows open, and trying to eat what is local and fresh, and the kids have been happily playing outside all day.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that this has been my favorite year so far. For the first time, I'm happy to keep August amongst the summer months, and save the pumpkins for later.  One of my favorite memories will be when I was making a pie using fresh peaches.  I gave one to Ben and he just relished the fruit and looked shamelessly summer drunk on its dripping, perfectly ripe, sparkling juice.

I dare say, the peaches tasted even better in the pie!



















No comments: