Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bye Bye Summer 2013

When I was in elementary school, the year didn't start until after labor day!  We had the entire months of June, July, and August to play outside, go swimming, stay up late watching movies, and sleep until noon.   Imagine my surprise and sadness when I realized that Emma's first day of Kindergarten would be the first day of August.  I was disgusted that we were forced to even think about buying school supplies in the midst of such a summery July, let alone buy them!  This sent me into a tailspin of "How can she already be starting Kindergarten?  Before I know it she will be in college, and Ben will be on a mission, and Lyla will be driving!  And if they are growing so quickly, then what will become of me?  What am I going to do?  What should I do with my life?  What is my mission on earth?  What is the point of our existence?  Why are any of us here?!"  Yeah- the reality of summer coming to an end drove me to an all out existential crisis. Ha!  Thankfully, Trenton took a couple days off from work and was around to talk me off the ledge long enough to squeeze out the last, most delicious drops of summer. 
 
 And delicious they were.  We decided to go for a little drive through the mountains, but before leaving town, we stopped at our favorite ice-cream place.  After that we stopped at Helen Hunt Falls for a little nature walk.  We played in the water and picked fresh raspberries. 

It was a pretty perfect day, and I was left feeling refreshed and ready to send my baby girl off into the big world.
 













No comments: