Monday, July 8, 2013

4th of July Weekend 2013

For years I have had trouble with my knees.  They lock and pop and twinge and grind.  But since I started lifting weights about 5 months ago, my left knee has been really hurting.  Over memorial day weekend I was at the leg press when I felt a huge pop followed by a complete inability to bend my leg.  A couple trainers helped me to a table where they managed to pop my kneecap back in place, and they encouraged me to go immediately to urgent care.  Of course I didn't because that happened to be a busy day for me (stupid), and the pain subsided so I just kind of put it on the back burner.  Until last Monday when the pain returned with a vengeance and I couldn't seem to get my kneecap to "pop" back into place.  This time the pain didn't subside and I couldn't put any weight on it.  I literally couldn't walk.  That was such a terrifying feeling, especially with Trenton working all the way in Denver.  Thankfully Emma is big enough now to help get Lyla out of her crib.  That sweet little girl helped me so much.  She got me an ice-pack, changed Lyla's diaper and fed her younger siblings lunch, and continued to care for them until Trenton could get home.  I was so relieved when Trenton walked through the door.  He scooped me up and carried me to the car where he rushed me off to the doctor.  They did some x-rays and found that I did not tear or break anything (thank goodness), but I have Patella Femoral Syndrome, which is a type of sports injury where the knee cap is off track, causing a great deal of pain.  There are a lot of contributing factors, but according to the doctor, the treatment is pretty simple...a brace and physical therapy.  I am so grateful that I won't need surgery...yet.

I am also thankful I married a man that is strong enough to carry me.  It really came in handy this week.

All things considered, I spent the days before the 4th relaxing and resting my leg.  Christy came by and took Emma and Ben for a playdate, so it was just me and Lyla for an afternoon.  We enjoyed it outside.  These pictures make me so happy because they weren't staged at all.  I had just happened to put her in this sweet little red dress that morning and she decided all on her own to play with all the flags I had in the plants.  So patriotic.

Trenton and I spent the morning of the 4th working on our backyard while the kids enjoyed some bomb pops.  This year we thoroughly enjoyed having Bill's family visiting from Utah.  Trenton and I had everyone over for a BBQ before heading over to the fireworks.  For the first time in 5 years, there was enough rain for the city to have professional fireworks.  And things must be looking up with the economy too because the philharmonic and their "Symphony in the Park" down at Memorial Park.  Parking is always impossible down there, but we are lucky enough to have our friend, Sandy, who lives just up the road.  She was sweet enough to let us park in her driveway.  It was a short little walk to find a perfect spot where we could hear the music as the fireworks exploded just over our heads.  Thanks Sandy!

The rest of the weekend was spent roasting marshmallows, visiting antique stores, playing games at the Manitou Penny Arcade, and a "Girls' Night" complete with pedicures, girly movies, and popcorn.  It was a pretty perfect holiday.

As I spent this morning gathering all the 4th of July decorations to pack up and put away until next year, I couldn't help but think about how Emma will be starting kindergarten in less than a month.  Once that happens, the leaves will begin changing and it will be pumpkin picking time.  Why does time have to fly by so fast?









 

















































No comments: