Friday, March 16, 2012

Introducing Miss Lyla Rose


Unfortunately the only picture I have of me during labor was taken by Trenton while I was sitting on the toilet, flipping the camera off.  I couldn't bring myself to fake a smile during this one.  The labor was awful.  The contractions started around 11:00 am on Friday and continued for another horrendous 17 hours into Saturday.  I was able to deal with the contractions au naturel for about 15 of those 17 hours until my body decided it needed to involuntarily purge everything I had eaten for the last week. Waiting so long to get the epidural was not my idea.  Because I was only 36 weeks along the doctors wouldn't do anything to augment my labor.  And my cervix decided to quit dilating after reaching 4 1/2 cm.  They were hesitant to give me an epidural if I wasn't in true labor because it would obviously be better for the baby if I could stay pregnant a few more days.  I felt completely trapped.  I was in so much pain but they wouldn't do anything to help me, and no amount of walking, changing positions, or rocking on that stupid birthing ball were making a difference.  I couldn't understand why I was experiencing contractions that were long, strong, and 2 minutes apart, but nothing was happening.  My other two labors lasted 4 hours, start to finish!  Another thing that was so different from my experiences with Emma and Ben is that I was primarily feeling the pain in my back and the pressure was unbearable.

Everything changed when the nurse checked me again.  She suddenly got a very startled, almost horrified look on her face.  All she said was, "That was creepy."  Creepy?  This woman has her fingers inside of me and now she's saying something is CREEPY?!?  Then the nurse said, "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to scare you.  It's just a very weird feeling when you stick your fingers in a woman and someone grabs back!"  The baby had somehow gotten her hand above her head and literally grabbed the nurse's finger!  After we all laughed hysterically, the nurse got a very serious look on her face and called the doctor, who then explained that if my water were to break spontaneously I would need an emergency C-section to reduce the risk of cord prolapse.  Three thoughts went through my mind.  1- I would be having the baby that night.  2- I could finally get some drugs.  3- Why did I waste so much time and energy trying to get her to flip if I was going to need surgery anyway?  I always imagined that I would have a complete meltdown if I got those news, but earlier that day Trenton and I were walking the halls trying to get my labor to progress and we passed a room that had a little picture of a leaf taped to it.  We passed the room several times before asking our nurse what that meant and she told us the leaf is put up when a baby has died.  Suddenly I had all the perspective I needed.  About an hour later, after receiving a blessing and praying like crazy, I felt a huge flutter in my stomach and the doctor confirmed that she had moved her little hand- allowing us to continue with a vaginal delivery.  I finally got my painless and beautifully working epidural and they broke my water.  After another two hours of laboring my nurse checked and I was still at 4 1/2 cm.  She had me lie on my side and 15 minutes later I was completely dilated and in so much pain!

When it was time to push I didn't experience the same panic as I did with Emma and Ben.  I felt so much more prepared and alert and present.  Instead of the TV playing in the background, we had lullabies.  I was surrounded by Trenton, Julie, Shannon and Autum- and it felt as if their strength was pouring through me. Because my epidural was starting to lose its effect, I had her out after three contractions.   The doctor did have to turn her since she was sunny side up (explaining the prolonged labor) so I got to see her little eyes staring right back at me before the rest of her body was even out.  She cried immediately and didn't need any of the medical assistance we were anticipating.

She was born to the lullaby, "You Are My Sunshine."  Which is the song Emma, Ben, and I always sang to her while she was growing in my tummy.  I can use one word to describe how I felt once Lyla Rose was born- relieved.

Lyla Rose Schlosser
5 lbs. 13 oz.
18 1/2 in.
Born February 25, 2012 -3:49 am

Christy was kind enough to watch our two kids on top of her four while my brother was with my mom and dad in Ohio.  Flying solo with six kids for four days is so impressive.  You're my hero Christy.  Thank you thank you thank you!

Trenton was so good.  He was my support before, during, and after and continues to be the best husband and daddy ever.  I still want to get him that T-shirt that says, "I survived my wife's morning sickness."  What a man, what a man, what a mighty good man.

Welcome to the world, sweet Lyla Rosebud!

























































Goodies!  Thank you so much everyone for spoiling me and Miss Lyla.


Thank you Shannon for the gorgeous rose!




































































No comments: