Monday, May 1, 2017

December 2016

December brought a lot of busy fun and a little of the usual sickness that comes with Winter.  We got in the Christmas mood by investing in some new lights for the house.  Ever since our first year of marriage, we've always decorated the outside of the home with white lights.  I love the classic simplicity of white lights, but there is just something so fun and magical about flickering, colorful lights.  Trenton did a beautiful job, and it brought all of us a lot of joy each time we turned them on.


Our friend Phil was a hilariously awesome Santa for our ward's Christmas party this year.  Our kids had such a hard time keeping a straight face so they didn't ruin it for all the kids in line.  But they had no trouble still sitting on his lap and telling him what they want for Christmas.


Trenton and I did a little of our own posing with Santa at Bass Pro Shop on the way home from the temple.





This is a picture of Ben sleeping in our very steamy bedroom after a particularly bad night with croup.  We are getting accustomed to the barking cough that wakes us up in the middle of the night during winter.  Poor little guy.



Every year I would think about this ornament that my mom had when I was growing up.  I have very vivid memories of playing with it in the guest bathroom, pretending it was a bottle of magic Christmas potion during the entire month of December.  Somewhere along the way it got lost and I never could find it again.  I searched for it for probably 25 years but it never resurfaced.  On a particularly nostalgic evening while I was wrapping presents and reminiscing about it, I realized I'm an adult now, and I live in the 21st century when sites like Amazon and Ebay exist.  I did a quick search and found one for sale in Wisconsin for $4, still in its original 70's Avon box.  A few days later, it was in my hands again, and I can't even explain the joy I felt hanging it on my  family tree.  This ornament is special in a way that is very personal and hard to explain.  It's my childhood.    


Dececmber was spent decorating, attending school Christmas plays, making gingerbread houses, and baking cookies with Grandma. 





























No comments: