Friday, April 19, 2013

"Mom- this giraffe is eating my hand!"

We got a call from Shannon a couple weeks ago- on a warm day that was sandwiched between a long stint of cold days, asking if we'd like to go with her to the zoo.  The kids were so excited that they immediately got themselves dressed and packed a bag with snacks and water.  If only they were so eager to get ready like that every day. 

I have probably visited the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo 100 times and never before have the animals been so active and visible.  Usually they're hiding at the back of the exhibit, or sleeping.  Maybe they were as excited about the warmer weather as we were.

Emma has always loved Giraffes.  They are her favorite, and she loved how we could get close enough to pet and feed them.  Lyla was also mesmerized by them.  She was having a wonderful time until it was her turn to feed the giraffe.  She wouldn't let go of the lettuce, so the giraffe wrapped her tongue tightly around her hand and pulled it into her mouth.  I had to yank with all my might to get her hand out of the giraffe's mouth.  For about 4 seconds I feared that Lyla might actually be losing a limb, and apparently, so did Lyla.  She looked at me with pure terror in her eyes and let out a howl I have never heard from her before.  I hope this hasn't scarred her, sweet baby.














 






No comments: