Sunday, March 3, 2013

Lyla's 1st Birth(week)

My heart has really been put through the wringer this week.  I'm still not sure how it's possible to feel incomprehensible joy and the deepest sorrow simultaneously.  First birthdays are tough enough on a mom, but knowing that she's my last baby really stings.  I wish that for the first few years of a child's life, they grew half as quickly.  I've been feeling very cheated by time lately, and it's really starting to tick me off.

Lyla's first birthday marks the end of my stint as a mom of an infant.  I'll never again experience the agony of morning sickness, or the drama of childbirth.  I'll never bring a baby home from the hospital again, or fall asleep at the dinner table with a milk-stained shirt.  I'm going to miss the way their skin smells.  I bet that's what Heaven smells like.

On the bright side, Trenton and I were lucky enough to be blessed with three sweet people to raise, and I'm thankful for the opportunity- as short-lived as it may seem.  Luckily each stage of a kid's life is so much fun.  I can think of nothing more exciting for our family right now than accompanying Lyla through her toddlerhood.  I love thinking about all of the opportunities that are just around the corner for us, and I'm so thankful for the 365 + days we've had with Miss Lyla Rose.

My Mom and Lyla share the same birthday week, so we decided they should celebrate together with matching coconut cakes. Lyla enjoyed her smash cake a little too much and had to be hosed off.  She also took a couple steps the day before her birthday, but hasn't had much interest since.  We'll see, I guess. 

On her actual birthday, we continued the tradition by taking Lyla to Fargo's for dinner.  She even had her fortune told, and it's looking bright.  Then this past Saturday, Lyla was spoiled even more by her Grandma and Grandpa, Tad, Linsey, Mike, Diana and Brittany, Tate, Patti, and kids.  Three cakes in one week!  My goodness.

What a baby to finish off my baby making career.  Happy Birthday, sweet Lyla!



























 












No comments: