Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Night Before Benny

I have been going through the icky task of sorting my electronic mountain of digital pictures, and I found these two snapshots. They were taken the night before Ben was born. I went into preterm labor with him at 23 weeks and every day that progressed without a baby meant one more heaven kissed day of growth for Ben. My doctor stopped preventing labor at 36 weeks. These pictures were taken at exactly 36 weeks. They let me leave the hospital for a while to do my early laboring at home, and so Emma and I passed the time by reading books, singing, and talking about the baby in the comfort of her delicate little room. I remember, so clearly, what I was thinking and feeling in this top picture. I was in pain, of course, but I was also in that hallowed place that women go to just before giving birth. There is such a sacred connection between spirituality and physicality in that moment, and even now I'm having trouble recalling it. It's kind of this entire body prayer. I never feel as connected to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ as I do during childbirth. It's almost as if I can feel them selflessly passing the baby off to me for safekeeping.

I am so grateful that I have been trusted with these two beautiful people. I am so lucky to be their mommy. And they are blessed to have each other.

I love you, my Emma and Ben.
Janet

No comments: