Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stabbing, Bridal Shower, and First Haircut

I have always been such a careful person. I've never broken a bone, or had a concussion. I've only had one horrible sunburn, despite my various tropical vacations. And up until about a week ago, I had never needed stitches. While I was trying to remove a thick piece of plastic from a new lamp, I managed to stab my hand between my thumb and pointer finger with a pair of my sharpest crafting scissors. They went in so deeply that the tip of my scissors pressed gently against my wrist bones. Aside from being completely stunned by what I had just done, I was totally calm. I didn't cry until I realized that my only option was to pull the scissors back out- and for some reason, that bothered me more than the initial puncture. Once I got the scissors out I ran up to the bathroom and realized this would require more than a band-aide. I got a hold of my dad and he rushed me to urgent care, where I was promptly taken to a room (I guess they don't want their patients bleeding all over the place...so take note...if you have to head to the ER, make sure you're bleeding.) Anyway- an hour later I was stitched, bandaged, and sore. But I will say this, the worst pain came days later when the tetanus shot made it's way through the muscles in my arm. Even though I had a nasty cut and a very sore hand, it was actually a nice time to catch up with my Dad. He told me the stories that go along with all his various scars, and reminded me that, compared to what I've already been through, this was just a scratch. I am so thankful to be near my family.

Speaking of family...I really felt the love last weekend. I was in too much pain to do much preparation for Autum's shower, so I made a few phone calls. Without any begging or bartering, my entire family showed up in my kitchen and helped slice, dice, mix, dip, spread, roll, and stir. By Friday night everything was prepared and ready to go for Autum's bridal shower. I've never been so relaxed the day of a party.
Would you believe my sexy husband constructed, iced, and decorated this cake? Who knew Trenton had this hidden talent? I do make him watch the Food Network a lot. Maybe some of that is sinking in. Either way, his help was so very appreciated. I love you Trenton!
My best friend is getting married this February 14th. I have known her for 20 years and we have been through some crazy stuff together. Living with her in England was probably the most therapeutic and hilarious time of my life. I am so happy she has found true love. And I'm even happier her true love is Matt. The other guys she had introduced me to throughout the years were a little scary. Some were very scary. I love you Otter!
Julie did such an awesome job with the games. I couldn't believe how much I still have to learn about Autum. I thought I knew everything!
The Groom and his future mom-in-law...
On to Vegas baby! I can hardly wait.
Trenton and I managed to avoid cutting Em's hair for 3 years, but the time finally came yesterday. Her hair is so fine and would tangle in the slightest wind, leaving me no other choice but to trim it. She was very nervous on the drive over but calmed down once she talked on the phone with her older cousin, Jessica. Jessica assured her that there is no pain, and that her hair would "grow back stronger, thicker, and longer like Rapunzel's hair did in the movie." Hearing mention of Rapunzel was all she needed to gain the confidence to go through with it.
And am I ever glad she did...Look how adorable she is!
She has been so excited about her new "do." And even more excited about her new banana detangling spray she got from the salon. They gave us a little keepsake card with her hair in a tiny baggy for her baby book, and of course, she got a lolli. Life is good in this little 3 year old's world.

Until Next Time,
Janet, Trenton, Emma, and Ben

1 comment:

Maureen said...

You sure pack a lot into a blog post! The cake and the shower look wonderful! Trenton's a keeper, that's for sure. And your daughter looks adorable! Have fun at your friend's wedding!