Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Emma's First Birthday

My baby girl is one!  How has the time gone so impossibly fast?  We celebrated on her actual birthday by going to Red Robin and letting her enjoy her very own ice-cream sundae and cupcake.






Her favorite gift was a bright pink ball.



Since Emma loves swimming so much, we decided to have a Luau/swim party.  Unfortunately, her birthday fell around the same time that OSHA decided to shut down all the swimming pools across the country until all drains were repaired to regulation.  So we had all these cute little water babies showing up in their swim suits in the middle of December with no pool to play in.

Oh well...Thanks to all the help from our family and friends that came to celebrate, the Luau was still a success.  













Even the Christmas tree got a tropical makeover.


This little one year old was very spoiled.





 We celebrated Emma's first birthday, shared in both family's Christmas celebrations, and are now headed to Iowa. When I'm home, I'll sit down and put together an album for you to see, but for now, I hope you enjoy these.



December 18th, 2008
Dear, darling, little Emma,

Yesterday morning, I woke up and walked quietly into your room while singing, "Happy Birthday". You peaked at me through your blankets and I could tell by your eyes, that beneath your tightly held pacifier you were smiling brightly. This has been my favorite year. Together, we have learned more about love and how to appreciate life than I have in my 25 years. I love you Emma. You and daddy are my best friends. I find it hard to believe that it was one year ago when we met for the first time. I have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of being your mommy. I look forward to when I can get you up out of your crib in the morning and see what new things you have learned. I love deciding what to feed you throughout the day, and where to take you. You have been a pleasure to take care of, especially since you are one of the most easy going children I've come across. You love to laugh, and smile. You get a kick out of the silliest things-including Gary, your beagle, running around the house. You just recently decided that you don't like most fruits and vegetables which is surprising since you've always been a champion eater, and although I still insist on doing your hair everyday, you've gotten pretty good and ripping your bows out once I turn my back. You love taking baths in the big tub and play with your shark and fishy bath toys. You say the words, "Mama", "Dada", "Thank You", "Yeah", "Ball", "No", and "Gentle", and "Puppa"- how fast you learn! I hope you take this ability and desire to learn with you througout your life. Your actual birthday was such a swirl of emotions, filled with happiness, pain, and exhaust. The first time I held you, I couldn't believe you were real, let alone my child! I loved the way you smelled, how soft you were, and the sound you made when you sucked your pacifier. I still enjoy those things, in addition to the squeal of delight you make when you're swinging at the park. I love the way you shake your little hips any time you hear music. I can't get enough of the games you play: patty cake, "how big is Emma", peek a boo, give me five etc. I love that when you grin, there are also two little teeth smiling back at us. I love that your favorite toy is a ball, and that you're sitting in your "big-girl" car seat, and starting to take unassisted, wobbly steps. I love that you're mine...all mine!

Happy Birthday Turtle! My beautiful little 1 year old.


I love you,
Mommy

No comments: