Friday, April 25, 2014

Valentine's Day 2014

Valentine's Day started out just as it should...with lots of hugs, kisses, and chocolate.  Emma and I had fun putting the valentines together for her class, and the kids enjoyed opening their gifts from me and Trenton.
  











It's not evident in this picture, but while we were at Emma's school Valentine's class party, she started having a little tummy ache.  I actually noticed that she was sort of limping around and not standing up very straight during the concert the kids had put together for the parents.  She didn't eat more than a bite of a cookie before she looked up at me and said, "I don't feel good.  My stomach hurts."  I didn't think too much of it because she had been complaining on almost a daily basis for a few months about her stomach, and I chalked that up to the stress of the move.  But as we were walking through the store later that evening she tugged on my shirt and said, "Mom- I want to go home now.  I am really sick."  Less than an hour later she was screaming and writhing in pain.  She couldn't stand up because it hurt her abdomen too much to straighten her back. And she couldn't lay still because there was no comfortable position.  Her body was drenched in sweat and she was inconsolable, which has never been the case with Emma.  Finally I asked her where it hurt most and she pointed to the right side of her abdomen just near her belly button.  Immediately we threw her in the car and rushed to the hospital because I was afraid her appendix would rupture.  I have never passed through the waiting room at an ER so quickly.  They didn't waste any time getting her seen, and the doctor got in touch with the pediatric surgeon right away just in case they would need to take her appendix out.  In the meantime, they pumped her full of morphine (I didn't even know they could give a kindergartner morphine) and she was finally able to calm down.  She was flying higher than a kite, and it was hilarious to watch, once I knew she wasn't in pain. The doctor returned shortly with the news that her white blood count was through the roof, which further indicated that she would probably need emergency surgery.  Thankfully they also did x-rays, an ultrasound, and a CT scan which revealed that her appendix was fine, but that her abdominal lymph nodes were swollen, indicating some sort of infection.  They admitted her into the hospital to start her on strong IV antibiotics, do more testing, and monitor her.

It didn't take long for the medicine to work, and she started to perk up during the early afternoon of the next day.  The doctors never did figure out what caused the infection, but they determined that the cause of pain was her swollen lymph nodes.  They ruled out all the scary stuff like cancer, and discharged her a day later.  We did find out that she's allergic to cow's milk.  Her allergy didn't cause this illness, but it's good to know nonetheless.
 


Memorial Children's Hospital was wonderful.  They truly catered to Emma's every need, and also took good care of me and Trenton during her hospitalization.  I'm pretty sure Emma enjoyed all the one on one attention she received, especially from us.  She doesn't get all that much attention at home with her younger brother and sister running around.  The hospital also gave her a fairy doll, coloring books, markers, and full access to a play room.  I'm not sure she wanted to go home!



 
She also enjoyed a visit from her friend, Ashley.  Friends truly are the best medicine.  Ashley brought her a sparkle coloring book.  So precious!




I'm so thankful there wasn't something worse going on with Emma.  This experience definitely helped me appreciate how healthy my kids generally are, and what a blessing that is.

No comments: