Monday, October 10, 2011

Ben's 2nd Birthday


My pregnancy with Ben was full of all kinds of scary bumps and possibilities. I dealt with morning sickness until the beginning of the 7th month, my platelets dropped significantly, I failed both glucose tests, leading to the diagnosis of gestational diabetes. I was told I had Group B Strep again, so that meant an inevitably longer stay in the hospital and I went in to pre-term labor pretty early on, requiring medicine with nasty side effects and bed rest. Every day those last few months were filled with the fear that I wouldn't be able to keep this little baby in me- safe...and growing. But that time was filled with hope too, and the knowledge that whoever this little guy is, he's precious and worth every second of worry and discomfort. I went in for an appointment at 35 weeks and was dilated 4-5 cm. My doctor insisted that if I could keep him baking just 1 more week, they wouldn't stop my labor medicinally. I remember that drive home, putting my hand on my stomach and pleading with Ben, "Please, just sit tight until you're 36 weeks." At exactly 36 weeks, to the day, Ben was born. And he was completely healthy. Ben has spent the last two years making up for everything he put me through. He is such a sweet little man. I can't even imagine there being a time when he wasn't in my world. And I know Emma feels the same way. Obviously siblings have a special tie to each other, but these two really are best friends. Happy Second Birthday baby boy!

We celebrated his birthday with family at Fox Run again. Ben had so much fun making messes, playing with his gifts, and eating cake. Actually, we all had fun doing that.





The turtle pinata would NOT break! Every child had a chance to hit it, a couple times, and Wyatt even bent the original stick trying to get at it. I was pretty impressed.




All the adults were playing volleyball, which I am horrible at by the way. I went to hit the ball and my wedding ring flew in the grass. Which then sent us all into an organized search that took about an hour out of our afternoon. Just as I was getting into the car to go buy a metal detector, Tad found it. If I didn't believe in miracles before, I surely do now.

After all that fun, Benny was tuckered.

After everyone left, Trenton and I went on a little nature walk. And we found a very friendly, very adorable chipmunk!



Until next time,
Janet, Trenton, Emma, and Ben

No comments: