Sunday, August 3, 2014

Our New Home

Trenton and I were given the keys to our new home at the beginning of June.  Through the weirdest and most wonderful twist of fate, our new home ended up being the house my sister Heather and brother-in-law Tim built when Trenton and I had just started dating. I actually lived in the house during our entire courtship. I did my hair on my wedding day in this house. My bridal shower and a couple of my baby showers were held here. I spent a good majority of my pregnancies on my sister's couch while she took care of me during the worst of my morning sickness, and we enjoyed so many Halloween nights and Christmas mornings in this home.  I was devastated when I found out Heather and Tim were planning on selling the house (the first time) because so many wonderful memories had been shared here, and it also meant that my sister was committed to moving to Oklahoma.  They did end up selling it to family friends.  Imagine my delight when, a few years later, Tim and Heather were visiting and Tim casually mentioned that he was applying for a position back in Colorado Springs, and that if he got it, they were planning on buying the house back.  He did get the job, and they did buy the house back.  Our house was only about 7 minutes away, and I enjoyed having them close again.  It meant so much to me that we could get together in the afternoons and talk for a few hours, or share family dinners.  Which is why I was devastated again when, just a couple years later, Tim took a job in Kansas and moved their family back to the mid-west.  This time, they didn't sell their house, but rented it to some friends in our ward at church (Maydra was Emma's and Ben's preschool teacher.  She held school in the basement of this home.  Talk about fun memories!) They rented for 3 years, but Tim and Heather needed to sell the house.  Thankfully, after several interested buyers fell through, the stars aligned and Trenton and I were able to step in and assume the home.

The first time I stepped in the empty house on the day we got the keys, I was filled with such a mix of emotions.  I was mostly ecstatic to have such a beautiful home.  How wonderful to raise my family where so many memories thrive.  And it's obviously a nice upgrade from our previous home, with so much extra space- a backyard, basement, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms.  But I was also immediately hit with sadness.  The only reason we were moving into this house is because Heather and Tim will not be coming back.  They bought a home there in Kansas, and are planting roots with work, school, friends, and church.  Looking around the house, I couldn't help but remember the last time I hugged my sister on the stoop the day before they moved to Kansas- both of us crying our eyes out.  Oh well- if I can't have my sister here physically, at least we have the blessing and comfort of knowing this house has always been filled with love.  I am so grateful for the peace and joy of going back to a place that has truly always felt like home.

Once Trenton and I realized that we'd be living here, we started thinking about little things we'd like to change and ways we could make the home feel more like ours.  Before we knew it, we had plans in the works for an almost complete renovation.  The home is in excellent condition, so everything we did was more for personal aesthetics.   I don't have the energy or the time to explain the depth of energy and time that went into all of the projects we did, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. 

I post these pictures, not to brag about the house (although, I do think it's pretty wonderful) but to brag about Trenton, who literally worked his fingers to the bloody bone to create this transformation. (And I have to say- he's so humble, he didn't even want me to post these pictures.) For years he has been paying attention as I've shown him pictures and ideas of how I'd like my house to be someday. He would always say, "I can do that! If that's what you want, I can do that for you." And he did! I also learned a lot along the way and feel considerably more confident trying new things. But- no man is an island, and there is no way Trenton and I could have pulled this off without the help of our lovely family and friends. Trenton's mom was over at the house every day happily helping in every way she could. She not only helped with the renovations, but she helped with the kids- building a special hideout under the stairs for them, and putting sand in their sandbox. Trenton's brothers came down from Denver and sacrificed their time and energy to help with the flooring and kitchen, and Steve and Shannon sacrificed movie tickets and their Saturday to come and help when I was waylaid by a blinding migraine. Then it came time to move, which we couldn't have done without our wonderful friends and family.  This brag fest wouldn't be complete without thanking Heather and Tim for building this beautiful home, and sharing it so selflessly throughout the years, and ultimately sharing it with us. Trenton and I promise to love and care for this home! Thank you so much to all of you that shared your time, energy, skills, advice, tools, supplies, and husbands so that we could get these projects done! We love you!
 

  Before and After
Kitchen Before-



















Kitchen After-







Family Room Before-













Family Room After-






Living Room Before-










Living Room After-








Half-Bath Before-








Half-Bath After





Master Bedroom Before-





Master Bedroom After




Master Bath Before



Master Bath After-




Emma's Room Before-


 Emma's Room After-


Lyla's Room Before-


Lyla's Room After-




Ben's Room Before-


Ben's Room After-



Kids' Bathroom Before-


Kids' Bathroom After-




Hallway-



Exterior Before-




Exterior After-







No comments: