Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hiking in Colorado

With the first day of school looming around the corner, I was really feeling the pressure to get our family out to enjoy Colorado's natural beauty.  We went on a gorgeous hike in the mountains near Helen Hunt Falls.  Along the way we saw hundreds of cute, furry caterpillars.  They were everywhere, including where we were walking.  Emma felt the need to stop anytime she saw one that might be in danger and move it off to the side where it would be safe.  Sweetness.








The last time I tried hiking this trail was on my 30th birthday.  I made it about 3/4 of the way up when I was suddenly debilitated by an overwhelming fear of heights.  My brother had to stay behind with me as the rest of my family went to the top.  My life has sort of been swirling down the anxiety toilet ever since.  Something has recently snapped in me though, and I have come to the realization that the only way I'm going to overcome my fears is to do the very things that scare the crap out of me.  I'm having to learn to turn my anxiety inducing "What-if's?" into "So what-if's?"  And that's just how I got myself on that mountain.  As my mind was racing with all the negative possibilities, I just kept silently repeating to myself, "So what if?"  And it worked.  I didn't get dizzy.  My heart didn't race, and I didn't feel nauseated.  Instead I felt happy, and powerful.  And I felt, for the first time in a long time, like a good role model for my children.  I'm so thankful Heavenly Father has blessed me to live in such a beautiful place, with patient and understanding friends and family that love me.  And I'm thankful for the love and strength he gives me when I'm feeling weak. 




No comments: