Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Back To School

Trenton and I are the proud parents of a 1st grader and a kindergartner.  What?!?  Emma and Ben are attending the elementary school at the end of our street.  Each morning we simply step out of our front door, walk a block, and we're there.  I think that knowing I'm just down the hill puts the kids' nerves at ease, and their close proximity certainly comforts me.  The day before school was filled with orientation and meet-and-greets.  Emma's teacher's name is Mrs. Hooey.  I've heard wonderful things about her.  Ben's teacher is Mrs. Hemingway, and she also has a stellar reputation.  They really did a great job of getting the kids excited about school, especially when they spoiled them with an ice-cream social.  Emma started on the first Friday in August.  Ben didn't start until the next Monday.  I was very proud of both of them.  Aside from the normal excitement, they didn't really have any anxiety.  Emma was so cute the night before her first day as she set out her entire outfit- including her underwear, socks, shoes, and hair bow.  And they were both adorable as they walked to school together.  It's such a weird feeling to send the most precious people in your life off to spend their entire day with strangers.  But seeing how happy they are at the end of each day makes up for it.  










 
The morning of Ben's first day of school.
 











Lyla was very upset the first few days when she realized she was the only one coming home with me. She has since adjusted, and I think she looks forward to the uninterrupted time we get to spend with each other.



Yesterday, Lyla and I took the long way home after dropping the kids off at school. We wandered for an hour and a half. She stopped to look at almost every pretty rock, flower, bee, and butterfly that we passed. These wildflowers are the souvenirs from our morning. As much as I love Autumn, I sure am going to miss this beautiful Summer.


No comments: